Top Ten Things Every WVYB Musician and Parent Must Know
- ATTEND REHEARSALS: It is expected that WVYB musicians will attend all rehearsals, performances, and events. A complete schedule can be found on the WVYB website: www.westvanyouthband.ca. If, due to illness or unusual circumstance, a rehearsal must be missed, let the Music Director know in advance. Rehearsals one week prior to any performance are mandatory.
- BE ON TIME: Rehearsals begin precisely at the scheduled time. Please arrive before the start of rehearsal to set up instruments and be ready to play on time.
- PRACTICE: Regular individual practice is required to make progress on an instrument. At the Beginner and Junior levels 20 minutes, three times a week is ideal. For the Concert and Symphonic Bands and Symphonic Strings, the amount of practice is left to the discretion of the individual. It is expected that musicians will practice as necessary to know all of their music.
- WATER ONLY IN MUSIC HALL: Water bottles are encouraged. Cell phones and other electronics are to be kept out of sight (put your phone in your instrument case).
- PROMOTION: Through the different levels of the WVYB is at the discretion of the Music Director. To be considered for promotion, a WVYB member must show both musicianship and maturity. A musician who practices hard, but behaves poorly cannot expect to be promoted. A musician who behaves well but does not practice cannot expect to be promoted.
- RESPECT: The WVYB is an inclusive organization offering a nurturing and encouraging music environment. It is expected that our musicians treat each other with respect and consideration at all times. Good manners and good behavior are required to remain a member of the WVYB. Respect also means practicing, attending rehearsal, being on time and communicating when a rehearsal needs to be missed.
- HELP OUT: Musicians from the Concert and Symphonic Bands and Symphonic Strings will be called upon from time to time to assist in set-up and take-down for concerts. We are a community organization and all members are expected to assist.
- COMMUNICATE: It is the responsibility of individual musicians and their families to remain up to date with concerts and activities. The WVYB website lists all WVYB events and is updated regularly. Please check the web site regularly and notify the Music Director immediately if a schedule conflict is noted. Read your emails!
- SUPPORT: Successful operation of the WVYB requires parent volunteers. Everyone must assist when possible. Parents are expected to attend concerts. Support your musicians. They have worked hard and deserve an audience. It is mandatory that parents attend the Annual General Meeting in the fall and support the WVYB fundraising efforts.
- PROMOTE: The WVYB has been part of this community since 1930. Our musicians and families are ambassadors not only for this organization but for West Vancouver and the North Shore. Take pride in our history and take pride in your accomplishments as a member of the WVYB. By encouraging friends and family to get involved, you help ensure a strong future for the WVYB.